Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Dirty Foods

I know, I know . . . This is a totally disgusting topic for a food blog. But I saw this article and just had to share it with you.

We all go to the grocery store, handle fruit, bring them home and start cooking with them. We all wash our hands frequently and wash our food prior to preparation (I hope!), but there were some startling revelations in this article.

Here's the link for you to read in its entirety:
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/the-5-dirtiest-foods-327375/

As a highlight, the following foods are on the "dirty food list."


  • Eggs: Always buy pasteurized eggs. And be careful from touching too many of the individual eggs when you open up each package. If there appears to be a damaged egg, just close the package and put it back. Don't replace eggs between packages.

  • Peaches: On average, a peach can contain as many as nine different pesticides

  • Pre-Packaged Salad Mixes: Make sure you wash the lettuces thoroughly even though the package says pre-washed.

  • Melons: Scrub melons with a mild dish soup and warm water before slicing. Their outside coat is a hot bed of bacteria and pesticides as well.

  • Scallions: Make sure you wash completely. These were blamed for recent breakouts of Hepatitis A.

Eat well and Stay Healthy!

2 comments:

alice_ah said...

Food safety in my family is now at the highest priority. Because I have elderly folks in my family with compromised immune systems, I have switched to pasteurized shell eggs to avoid the possibility of Salmonella. They taste just like regular eggs and I especially recommend them for raw egg recipes. The brand I use is Davidson's Safest Choice that is found at a local supermarket. I found them at www.safeeggs.com.

Alice

Anonymous said...

I wish the pasteurized eggs in the shell were easier to find. I think it's ridiculous that they are not as readily available as other pasteurized dairy products. What gives?