Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sushi Wasabi -- Tustin

I finally found nirvana in Tustin! Sushi Wasabi is undoubtedly the best sushi I have found in Orange County.

Based on a recommendation from a coworker, I tried Sushi Wasabi tonight. When I pulled up into this mini-mall in Tustin (Newport & Walnut), I wasn't sure I was going to go in. The restaurant is located next to an autoparts store and a donut shop and it doesn't have an attractive entrance. I ventured in and was sorry I had to leave.

Signs posted on the entrance door tell you that the restaurant only serves sushi. I asked to sit at the sushi bar and was immediately told that the service is "okamase" style, meaning that the Chef will prepare whatever is fresh that day; "trust him" the sign commands. This is the way I like to enjoy my sushi anyway as you get to try new things and experience new preparations. If you are into those funky cut and and hand-rolls, go to Wasa or somewhere else.

Tonight, I had oysters from Seattle, albacore from New Zealand, and other fish from around the world. The blue crab hand roll is a house favorite. Everything was extremely fresh and simply prepared. I had 12 courses and enjoyed every last bite. I wish I could have stayed there for the rest of the night.
Reservations are recommended, especially if you are a larger group. I dined early on a Friday evening, but as I was leaving at 7:30PM, the 40-seat restaurant was filling up fast. Prices are very reasonable considering the presentation, portions and quality.

Treat yourself to Sushi Wasabi the next time you're in the mood for sushi. You'll be happy you did and you won't go anywhere else!

Sushi Wasabi
14460 Newport Boulevard (at Walnut)
Tel: 714/505-3496

No comments: