Friday, January 2, 2009

Dining Out in Atlanta

Just after college, I contemplated a permanent move from Washington, D.C. to Atlanta. I had heard that it was the cosmopolitan capital of the South, was a great place for a young girl like me to start a career, had a good dining scene as well as outstanding entertainment and sports options. I can't really recall now why I changed my mind, but I returned back to Southern California.

Over the years, Atlanta has become all that I described above and more. And over the past 1-1/2 years since I started my own business, I have been back to Atlanta a total of (5) times. Thanks to my friend, Peter, who has been a career concierge in Atlanta, he has made some wonderful suggestions and I have been fortunate to be able to indulge during my visits.


Below are my favorite restaurants in the City. There are a myriad of other restaurants to try and experience. However, if this is your first visit and you need a place to start, I am hoping this assists you with creating culinary memories in the Peachtree State Capital.


Bacchanalia

Looking for that special occasion restaurant, excellent food and wine or in my case, a great cheese selection, this is your place. Located in Midtown Atlanta in a "renovated" part of town, Bacchanalia features contemporary American cuisine. The restaurant's chefs are former James Beard award winners and the restaurant is consistently voted #1 in Atlanta. I have dined here twice and had memorable experiences both times. On the night in September that I last dined here, I had a prix fixe $75.00 four-course dinner. There were 6-7 choices per course from which to choose. My menu consisted of: First Course -- Hamachi Crudo, Fennel, Orange, Sweet Peppers; Entree -- Slightly Cured Duck Breast, Farro Risotto, Local Filet Beans, Pickled Sour Cherries; Cheese Course (more on this later) and Dessert -- Brown Butter Fig Tart, Rosemary Cream, Ginger Ice Soda. Each presentation was more exquisite than the last and more delectable than the one before it.


I eat a lot of cheese (which probably attests to my higher cholesteral counts these days) and have never encountered a more knowledgeable and patient cheese sommelier and more beautiful cheese cart. There were (3) cheeses from which to choose in (4) categories -- Cow's Milk Cheese, Goat's Milk Cheese, Sheep's Milk Cheese, Blue Cheese. Lovely condiments adorned each selection and complimented each cheese wonderfully. Like a wine fine is paired with your food, cheese should be properly paired with condiments and wine. Bacchanalia does it correctly for my tastes and I am already looking forward to my return.


Bacchanalia
1198 Howell Mountain Road
404/365-0410
http://www.starprovisions.com/




Fourth & Swift
Just opened a few months before my visit this past September, Fourth & Swift is quickly making a name for itself on the local restaurant scene. Don't be fooled by the exterior (or interior) as this used to be location for the engine room for Southern Dairies -- exposed brick, concrete and metal beams create a unique vibe.



Comfort food is what the Chef is looking to providing its patrons. Of course, that means there's a twist on everything. For example, there is a dish that I tried called "Three Little Pigs." Here, the chef presents pork three ways -- loin, belly and housemade sausage -- accompanied by macaroni and cheese. The macaroni and cheese was not near the top of my list for taste, but the pork was prepared and presented well and had a good taste. I started with the crab cake with fennel salad and it was one of the better crab cakes I have had recently -- moist and full of lump crab. There is an extensive wine list from small wineries, which made it fun to try different wines by the glass. I am a big fan of Oregon Pinot Noirs and there were several from which to choose.


Fourth & Swift
621 North Avenue NE
678/904-0160



Rathbun's
I dined here the first time in October 2007 and had a dessert that was amazing --Sticky Toffee Pudding Cake with Jack Daniels Ice Cream. For the past year, I have craved that dessert and when I knew I was coming back to Atlanta this past September, I couldn't be swayed from coming here again. And it didn't disappoint -- Ooey gooey toffee cake served warm with a decadent Jack Daniels Ice Cream. I must have that recipe for the winter season of entertaining. But I digress from the restaurant and the rest of the menu . . .

Opened for 4 years, Rathbun's is also located in Midtown Atlanta. And now, the Chef/Owner, Kevin Rathbun, has ventured into new endeavors -- Krog Bar (located next to Rathbun's) and Rathbun's Steak, located down the street in another renovated warehouse district of Atlanta. What's great about this menu is that you can have a traditional dinner -- first course, entree and dessert -- or experiment with their small plates concept, which is precisely what I did on the most recent visit. Among my favorites are: Ahi tuna "crudo" Citrus, Serranos; Garlic Snails, Trofie Pasta, Preserved Lemon; Kurobata Pork Belly Soft Tacos, Orange Hoisin; Sardinian Flatbread, Golden Beets, Grayson Cow's Milk Cheese, Arugula. Service has been excellent both times and in fact, it has been memorable service, which always seems to be lacking when you're a single diner.

Rathbun's
112 Krog Street
404/524-9280

No comments: