Friday, October 17, 2008

Apple Harvest & Apple Pie


One of my fondest childhood and early adult memories is of visiting Oak Glen, a tiny little haven near Yucaipa, California, famous in the Fall season for apples. It was an exciting day when I got out of school and my parents and I would head to Oak Glen to pick apples, run through the leaves, pet the animals at the petting zoo, sample apple cider and eat apple pie at "Law's," the little coffee shop that specializes in all things homemade and apple.


Last weekend, I was away on business when my neighbors Olivia and Estella (ages 6 and 4 respectively) took their parents on an adventure to Oak Glen. I understand a fun time was had by all -- especially when hoisted on the shoulders of their father so they could grab apples from way on high.

When I returned home a couple of days later, I was the lucky recipient of a small bushel of Granny Smith apples. There is always something wonderful about the taste of freshly picked apples (and fruit and vegetables, in general). They are juicy, tart, firm and taste like Fall! I love them!
To return the favor, I set out to make something with the apples -- something that the family could easily enjoy together. It couldn't have any alcohol and it had to be good warm and accompany vanilla ice cream. What else could it be but apple pie?!

In my food compendium, I found a recipe from a 2001 issue of Gourmet magazine for "Thin Apple Tarts." While I have never been completely successful with puff pastry, the recipe seemed quick and easy and a perfect vehicle for the Granny Smith's.

I cheated a bit and purchased puff pastry from Trader Joe's. While the recipe called for me to roll out the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface, I thought the size and thickness of this pastry was sufficient and would yield a lovely apple tart. I am happy to report that it was indeed easy and delicious. And if I do say so myself, it looked good too -- always a necessity when bestowing food upon friends and neighbors!

Below is the recipe and photo. I hope it fills your home with the aroma of Fall and brings back childhood memories of apples, desserts and all things delicious!


THIN APPLE TARTS
Active Time: 35 minutes; Start to finish: 1 hour
Makes 4 servings

2 small Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and halved
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. sugar
2T fresh lemon juice
2T unsalted butter
1 frozen puff pastry sheet (from a 17-1/4 oz. package), thawed

1. Cut apple halves crosswise into 1/16-inch-thick slices and transfer to a bowl.

2. Bring water, sugar, lemon juice, and butter to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring until sugar is dissolved, then pour over apples. Turn apples until slightly wilted, then drain in a colander set over a bowl, reserving liquid.

3. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

4. Roll out pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface into a 12-1/2 inch square and cut out 4 (6-inch) rounds. Transfer rounds to a lightly buttered baking sheet and top with overlapping apple slices. Bake in middle of oven until golden brown, about 25 minutes.

5. Boil reserved liquid in a saucepan until reduced to about 1/3 cup, then brush onto baked tarts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also went to Oak Glen in my youth, seems so long ago....thanks for the memories!