Monday, September 22, 2008

Best Ever Banana Bread

Everyone has that one favorite family or heirloom recipe that they cook again and again. Well, one of mine is this recipe for banana bread.

When I lived in Washington, D.C. after college, my friend, Nadia, used to make this for our office often. I was most impressed when she baked each of us a whole loaf, covered it and put it on a wooden board and presented it with a lovely linen napkin as a Christmas gift. She even made two loaves for me when I left D.C. and embarked on a cross-country road trip back to Southern California. I will never forget the generosity of that gift or the friendship that the banana bread started.

Over the years, I have made more loaves than I can count and have bestowed them upon neighbors and cherished friends alike. The recipe never disappoints and I am happy to share it with you all here.

I personally think that the moistness of the bread is due to the buttermilk in the recipe. I have tried other recipes and they just do not have that same moistness. The 1/2 cup of vegetable oil probably also contributes; do not be frightened by the oil as it does not make the bread seem greasy or oily.

Another hint is to use extremely ripe bananas. That ripeness yields an extremely flavorful bread. Walnuts are optional, in my opinion, however, more of my friends and relatives insist upon them more than I do.

If any of you have any good family heirloom recipes to share, please send them along. My recipe "notebook" can always accommodate more -- especially those that are tried and true.

Today is the first day of Fall. I cannot think of a better aroma to decorate your house than a loaf of freshly baked "Best Ever Banana Bread." From my home to yours . . . Happy Baking!

Best Ever Banana Bread
2 ripe bananas, mashed
2 eggs
1-3/4 c. unsifted all purpose flour
1-1/2 c. sugar
1 c. chopped walnuts, optional
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/4 c. plus 1T buttermilk
1t. baking soda
1t. vanilla
1/2t. salt

1. Preheat oven to 325F.
2. Grease and flour 9x5 loaf pan.
3. Combine all ingredients in large bowl and mix well, but do not beat.
4. Transfer to prepared pan and bake until top is golden brown and splits slightly, about 1 hour and 20 minutes.

NOTE: DO NOT DOUBLE RECIPE. This recipe does, however, split easily into (3) smaller loaves.

No comments: